Every year, many people worldwide suffer from food poisoning, whether at home or abroad. Food poisoning is preventable if you follow simple food hygiene tips.
In order to prevent bacteria from spreading, remember to do the following:
• Wash your hands before and after preparing food, especially if you are touching raw meat
• Prepare raw and ready-to-eat food separately
• Always use clean utensils and equipment. Always wash chopping boards and knifes that come into contact with raw foods
• Keep tea towels and hand towels clean and wash them frequently. Remember to replace wash cloths on a regular basis
Many foods need refrigeration and when using these foods, it is essential that you pay attention to the ‘use by’ dates.
• When you get home from shopping, to always place food requiring refrigeration into the fridge
• Cool cooked food as quickly as possible and then put it in the fridge
• Keep raw meat and poultry in a sealed container. Place this container at the bottom of the fridge to stop it touching or dripping on to other nearby foods
• Keep your fridge organized according to food type and do not overload food into it, as you can prevent cold air circulating.